Monday, December 8, 2008

A Soldier's Letter

We're doing an activity in class where we interpret letters from soldiers to their families. We were assigned to go on line and find letters that soldiers had sent home and analyse what they were saying and what I found surprised me.

I came across a letter that was more powerful than I personally was prepared for from a son to his mom and dad. I attached the letter and I hope you read it. This particual soldier is fighting in Operation Iraqi Freedom and wrote the letter in 2004. The pure emotion that comes forth when read isn't just because you're a family member of a soldier, it doesn't matter who you are I promise you it's worth the read.

Fear and passion are both attributes of a soldier and Dustin is of no exception. In his letter he describes the memorial service of a fallen soldier and his "final roll" being called and tears are eminent for anyone reading. Imagining being the familiy of Dustin when this letter arrived is impossible and something I wish nobody ever has to endure.

I don't think a letter like this is meant to be analyzed, mearly absorbed.

God bless our soldiers.

4 comments:

Gena R. said...

I read this letter too, and used it for my project. I think it is powerful because the soldier’s emotions are so strong and raw, considering he wrote about what happened only a day after. The images of the dog tags and rifle, and the 21 gun salute and “Taps” vividly depicted the sadness of the moment, but also showed the pride the soldiers felt for their fallen friend.

Becca K. said...

Wow, that's a powerful letter. The one line I liked best was talking about his family, and Dustin said, " I love you all more than life itself, that's why I'm here." It reminds me that not all soldiers go to war strictly for the love of their country. They know that by protecting their country, they protect their family, and that's sometimes more important.

I never knew that at a war funeral, the dead's soldier's name is called multiple times with no response. That must be extremely hard to listen to. I can only imagine what soldiers go through, especially those hardships that don't involve the actual combat. Living without their family, living with the possibility of death everyday, and watching friends and fellow soldiers die seems unbearable for those who haven't gone through it.

Anna said...

This letter was so touching. I didn't know either that a soldier's name is called with no reponse. This must have been hard for Dustin. This was a great blog.

Brittanya said...

I read this letter too. I based it off of another blog that I wrote.

It is a truly deep and emotional letter. The loss of a brother in war.

Almost like loosing a teammate on a high school sports team. You bond so much with them, and then oen day your gone.

Good bless our soliders. Not the government. SEND OUR BOYS HOME!