Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Do You Really Want to Be a Girl Right now?

Have you ever been incredibly aware of you gender? I have.

A girl in tech-ed is odd to say the least. A girl in woods class...more odd. The only girl in woods two? About as sufficintely akward to put it nicely. I would know. I'm that girl that didn't take sewing class or foods class but instead embarked into woods. I rocked. Not to be head-strong or whatever you call it, but it's true I just fit into woods. I have built everything from a clock to a large coffee table with a built in lower rack and Mr. Krinke loves the irony of a girl that is good at woods. Who wouldn't honestly?

Unfortunately, boys that don't ROCK at woods don't love it so much. They love having a girl in their woods class for the sake of being the guy that asks if I need help carrying my wood or other such tasks that are too "manly" for me, but when it comes to getting help from me, no thanks. Mr. Krinke would often re-direct the boys to come find me to ask for help if they needed something and more than once they just prefered not to know. Getting help from a girl in an area of expertice that isn't supposed to be a girls domain is not an easy pill to swallow.

Most boys choose not to swallow that pill and just move right along, and there just isn't much I can do about that except not let it get to me. Don't let other judge you for being a girl in a guys domain. And boys? Rock at sewing or foods, your wives will love you someday for loving it.

8 comments:

Cody Dederich said...

Haha, this is actually a pretty funny read. I find it hard to beleive that guys STILL in the year 2009 have problems with girls taking roles that aren't necessarily "girly".

Lindsey R said...

Lol jane you really think your good with wood dont you? Well Im glad you can prove yourself as a girl in a mainly dominated boy class. :)

Shauna Ohhh said...

I also think its funny that guys are still having a problem with a girl doing a "mans" job. Men's heads are too big, and need to let us women do some stuff! :) haha

WAYYYY TO GO JENNN BUNNY!

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

I know how you feel. I'm a guy and I love to cook (only reason I'm not taking it is i've taken it to many times). Its how society sees the steirotipical women or men. If you don't fit in with one you are a square peg trying to fit into a cirular hold.

Nicole said...

I'm glad you're showing up at least a couple boys in woods class. Hopefully they'll learn that women can do anything men can do...sometimes better in this case. hopefully that train of thought will trickle out to all men eventually!!! Love the end comment about household duties..:)

Ky-Ky Bebeh said...

I think I can totally relate to this post Jenny, considering the fact that I'm a guy dancer... lol :P

The irony of a girl kicking arse in woods class is quite funny though; I can just see the faces of jealous guys seeing your finished work.

Overall, great blog post!! Very original topic to write about.

Brittanya said...

AH. Hilarious. I mean, guys are seriously so self concious about their masculinity that they make the girls feel bad about themselves.

As if we don't have enough to feel self concious about...

Katie B. said...

This is really cool. I think it's great that you found something you're good at and have fun with. Good for you.