Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Do YOU have a race?

We as a class were asked to consider the question: "Do you have a race?" and to form an answer with a reasonable reason why. This is what I came up with:

I think No. I am very apparently white skinned and i'm not that person that has a perpetual tan all year round, unfortunately. However, I don't think that I have a race. I am not defined by my white skin or my blonde hair and green eyes; I am defined only how I wish to be defined. When i stand next to my best friends who are asian, mexican, and caucasian I don't see anyone as different. I don't walk through the mall thinking i'm above or below anyone because of my skin color and I certaintly hope not to be judged because of what I look like.

I think growing up in a town where 95% of it's occupants are white with a random spattering color amongst us helps to be quite honest. Most people would assume the opposite, that being from a town where you look around the the majority of color you see is white would shelter you into a belief system that everyone that isn't white is much different than you, but really with the color I do see I see equality. I see the black kids, the asian kids, and the mexican kids just like a see myself.

Mind you i'm not a saint, there are black people that steal stuff and there are asian people that rock the world with their super human math skills and I judge them just like the rest of you. But really there are a lot of white people that steal crap too and there are wiz kids that are white. I guess it's all about the eyes you chose to see through.

No comments: